Solar Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Pool Heater – Which One to Choose?
Solar Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Pool Heater – So, you’ve decided to invest in a pool heater? A pool heater needs to be as powerful as the size of your pool. There are lightweight to heavy-duty pool heaters. Their performance depends on the mode of energy. There are three primary energy modes: Solar energy, gas, and electrical energy. Therefore, each type of energy option is available in a pool heater. A pool heater can be a considerable investment, as well.
In this article, we are bidding these pool heaters against each other. This is your one-stop for the battle of the century Electric pool heaters vs. gas pool heaters vs. heat pump vs. solar pool heaters.
So, Let’s Begin!
Compare & Choose the best pool heaters – Solar Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Pool Heater
- CONVENIENT HOT WATER HEATER: 4 gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide...
- LONG LASTING QUALITY: This electric water heater is easy to maintain and has premium...
- INDEPENDENT INSTALLATION: 36-37" cord plugs into a 120 volt outlet for independent installation...
If you’re looking for a portable pool heater, then a heat pump is what you need. It is similar to an electric pool heater. However, instead of generating heat and energy, it collects heat from the atmosphere. This feature saves a considerable amount of energy that, while it may be similar to an electric heater, it brings you the leisure of solar heaters. The combination is excellent for having an efficient pool heating option.
However, it’s prominent feature is also a primary drawback. As it collects heat energy from the surrounding environment, it is useless in areas that have a colder temperature. Anything below 35 degrees Fahrenheit would render it incapable of functioning. In colder climates, heat pumps aren’t effective.
- Highly portable and user-friendly
- Energy-efficient and eco-friendly
- Great for warm temperatures in a swimming pool
- Not suitable for colder climate
- Isn’t as powerful as a Gas heater
- Flow Activation
- Ecosmart Pool Heaters are compact and easy to install for a new or existing pool
- Set your temperature digitally to increments of 1-Degree. Set it and forget it.Required Wire:2...
- Lifetime warranty
- Save up to 60-percent on your water heating cost with an ECOSMART electric tankless water...
- Never run out of hot water with an ECOSMART tankless water heater
- The product is highly durable
- The product is easy to use
- Manufactured in China
Electric pool heaters utilize electricity to function. These are highly versatile and often come with several convenient features. In extreme climates, with apt power supply, these will perform sufficiently. You can run them year-round. Most of the electric pool heaters come with an option to cool the water down if required. These features make it a highly efficient selection.
You can expect an electric heater with proper maintenance to last over ten years. However, unlike gas heaters, these don’t pack as much power. If you choose a powerful electric heater, it will consume excessive energy. Many electric heaters have a specific limit to how much they can heat the pool.
- Longer life than other pool heaters
- Come with customization options and friendly adjustments
- Great for year-round performance
- Take longer to heat a pool
- Usually require additional circuit integration to function
- Fall on the costlier side of the spectrum
- Simple DIY installation; for in ground or above ground pools
- Installs on roof, rack, ground or fence
- Patented web design for maximum exposure to sun's rays
- Eco-friendly solar technology increases temperature of the pool water by approx. 3 ~ 5 DegreeC...
- Simple hook up, compatible with filter pump up to 1/2 hp or pump flow rate < 2500 gal/hr (9463...
- Suitable for above ground pools up to 8000 gal (30,280L). 1m sq (11ft sq) surface to absorb...
- SOLAR POOL HEATER – The Sunheater Solar Pool Heating System allows you to capture free heat...
- EXTENDS POOL SEASON – Your pool’s pump pushes the water through the panel’s many tubes...
- EASY TO INSTALL – This solar pool heater uses your existing filtration system & comes with...
A solar pool heater utilizes the energy from the sun and absorbs it to circulate it. Thus, it is the most cost-effective method to heat your pool. There isn’t any requirement of the power source. Most of these are easy to carry, and you can use them anywhere.
A solar panel heater is limited by its size and weather conditions. If you are in a region that doesn’t see much of the sun, it is not a good investment. The most prominent factor is the affordability of these heaters.
You can’t control how much the pool will heat, except determine it through time. If you’re an eco-friendly person, then these can be an ideal choice for you. Solar panel heaters tend to be bulky and more massive than others, making it inconvenient to store.
- A very eco-friendly option
- Highly affordable with minimal upkeep or maintenance
- Lasts longest of all pool heaters
- DIY-friendly and easy to use
- Energy-efficient and cost-friendly
- Limited in power and performance
- Works in the daytime under the sun, not suitable for night
- Less potent than other heaters
- Consumes too much space. The larger the pool, the larger panel you will need
- Digital control with liquid crystal display (LCD) for temperature selection and heater settings
- Capron resin headers prevent rust stains from harming pool surface
- Plumb directly from provided 2" PVC threaded union
- The Hayward Universal H-Series 150,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater delivers premium heating...
- A durable cupro nickel heat exchanger offers exceptional protection against corrosion and...
- Industry-leading hydraulic design reduces circulation pump run time to provide major energy...
A gas pool heater happens to be the most powerful heater available in the market. You can quickly heat the pool, and you can use it for almost any size of the pool. While propane gas heaters are prevalent, natural gas heaters have also made a name in the industry.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective gas heater, then a natural gas one is a good idea. Gas is especially significant in the cold season. However, these are not environmentally friendly. You will smell fumes as it releases them while functioning.
Similarly, Gas heaters are not great for areas with excessive temperatures. You will most likely require a professional to install these heaters. Additionally, these heaters have the lowest lifespan out of all other options.
Despite the drawbacks, these are powerful. The initial investment is low and can be cheaper than the solar panels. They heat the pool fast, giving you on-demand heat. The external climate and weather won’t affect its performance.
- Powerful heating option for any pool
- You can switch to natural gas for better cost-efficiency
- Year-round performance without weather’s impact
- Requires excessive maintenance
- The shortest lifespan of all pool heaters
- Non-environmental and non-DIY friendly
FAQs – Solar Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Pool Heater
1. What Is The Right Size Of A Pool Heater For Me?
People often use ‘gallons’ to determine the heater size. There are 10,000 gallons pool heaters to 30,000 gallons. The truth is, you can find something as expansive as a pool heater for 80,000 gallons of water. For that, you need to consider a unit known as ‘BTUs.’
- For a 1,000 to 10000 gallons heater, a 100K to 200K BTUs would be sufficient.
- For 10,000 gallons to 20,000 gallons heaters, get 200K to 300K BTUs, 300K to 400K BTUs for up to 40K Gallons, and more than that for anything higher than that.
2. What Are Some Common Causes Of Pool Heater Malfunction?
According to the statistics, the most common reasons are:
- Improper grounding for the heater
- Clogged burner or low gas pressure
- Irregular maintenance and repairs
- Improper flow of power or poor energy supply
The Bottom Line of Solar Vs. Electric Vs. Gas Pool Heater
It would seem that between propane pool heaters vs. electric pool heaters vs. gas pool heater vs. heat pump, electric one indeed excels. That’s due to its remarkable versatility and user convenience.
While it might seem like Gas electric heater is exceptional in performance, there are several other advantages to having it. We’ve helped you get the best information possible to make a quick decision.
However, in the end, it all comes down to your requirement and how much you are willing to invest.
BestCartReviews aims to be your one-stop solution for information regarding any product. We operate consistently to bring you up to date information and reviews regarding various products. From the industrial and commercial sectors to residential households, we bring you well-researched reviews to make an informed decision.
Not just electric pool heaters, we aim to bring you information for other objects and products, comprehensively. You can browse our website to learn more.
- 10 Best Solar Pool Heaters for InGround & Above
- Best Electric Pool Heaters for In-Ground Pools
- 7 Best Pool Heaters for Inground Pools & Benefits
- Types Of Pool Heaters
- Therapeutic Benefits of Using Swimming Pool Heaters